WHY DO YOU GO TO COLLEGE ? Using the scale below, indicate to what extent each of the following items presently corresponds to one of the reasons why you go to college.
1. Because with only a high-school degree I would not find a high-paying job later on.
2. Because I experience pleasure and satisfaction while learning new things.
3. Because I think that a college education will help me better prepare for the career I have chosen.
4. For the intense feelings I experience when I am communicating my own ideas to others.
5. Honestly, I don’t know; I really feel that I am wasting my time in school.
6. For the pleasure I experience while surpassing myself in my studies.
7. To prove to myself that I am capable of completing my college degree.
8. In order to obtain a more prestigious job later on.
9. For the pleasure I experience when I discover new things never seen before.
10. Because eventually it will enable me to enter the job market in a field that I like.
11. For the pleasure that I experience when I read interesting authors.
12. I once had good reasons for going to college; however, now I wonder whether I should continue.
13. For the pleasure that I experience while I am surpassing myself in one of my personal accomplishments.
14. Because of the fact that when I succeed in college I feel important.
15. Because I want to have “the good life” later on.
16. For the pleasure that I experience in broadening my knowledge about subjects which appeal to me.
17. Because this will help me make a better choice regarding my career orientation.
18. For the pleasure that I experience when I feel completely absorbed by what certain authors have written.
19. I can’t see why I go to college and frankly, I couldn’t care less.
20. For the satisfaction I feel when I am in the process of accomplishing difficult academic activities.
21. To show myself that I am an intelligent person.
22. In order to have a better salary later on.
23. Because my studies allow me to continue to learn about many things that interest me.
24. Because I believe that a few additional years of education will improve my competence as a worker.
25. For the “high” feeling that I experience while reading about various interesting subjects.
26. I don’t know; I can’t understand what I am doing in school.
27. Because college allows me to experience a personal satisfaction in my quest for excellence in my studies.
28. Because I want to show myself that I can succeed in my studies.
Source: Vallerand, R. J., Pelletier, L. G., Blais, M. R., Briere, N. M., Senecal, C., & Vallieres, E. F. (1992). The academic motivation scale: A measure of intrinsic, extrinsic, and amotivation in education. Educational and psychological measurement, 52(4), 1003-1017.