On a scale of 1 to 9 please indicate your agreement with the following statements
1= never or definitely no and 9 = always or definitely yes.
Horizontal individualism items:
1. I’d rather depend on myself than others.
2. I rely on myself most of the time; I rarely rely on others.
3. I often do “my own thing.”
4. My personal identity, independent of others, is very important to me.
Vertical individualism items:
1. It is important that I do my job better than others.
2. Winning is everything.
3. Competition is the law of nature.
4. When another person does better than I do, I get tense and aroused.
Horizontal collectivism items:
1. If a coworker gets a prize, I would feel proud.
2. The well-being of my coworkers is important to me.
3. To me, pleasure is spending time with others.
4. I feel good when I cooperate with others.
Vertical collectivism items:
1. Parents and children must stay together as much as possible.
2. It is my duty to take care of my family, even when 1 have to sacrifice what I want.
3. Family members should stick together, no matter what sacrifices are required.
4. It is important to me that I respect the decisions made by my groups.
Source: Triandis, H. C. & Gelfland, M. J. (1998). Converging measurement of horizontal and vertical individualism and collectivism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 118-128.