Japanese government and a high number of universities, NPOS and NGOs systematically offer research grants to international applicants every year. MEXT (Japan Ministry of Education and Culture) and JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) are the two major grant-in-aid providers.
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Post Doctoral Grants are for pre and post doctoral candidates who wished to do joint research in Japan. JSPS offers long-term and short-term grants as well as summer programs.
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Research Grants for Foreign Researchers (We strongly recommend that you apply together with a Japanese researcher as a team). Several grant categories are listed below:
- Grant-in-Aid for Specially Promoted Research
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research
- Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research
- Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists
- Grant-in-Aid for Research Activity Start-up
- Grant-in-Aid for Encouragement of Scientists
Canon Europe Japan Grants in Aid. Although the success rate is around 10% Canon has a generous grants program open to countries in Europe and close to the Europe area.
Fulbright Japan has scholarships and research grants available to Japanese and American scholars in the areas including but not limited to Journalism, Lecturing, research, graduate programs, etc.
United States-Japan Foundation has provided more than $90 million worth of research grants to scholars who studied matters related to both Japan and the USA.